Please note: Only some of these resources are from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. As a resource, this page also lists other organizations that offer programs for students. Please contact the individual programs directly for details on their offerings.
High School Opportunities in Ocean Science at WHOI and beyond
- Residential summer research experience for rising juniors and seniors in high school, 1 week. All costs are covered.
- The aquarium offers a variety of teen programs including summer paid teen internships.
- There are a variety of high school programs both on shore or at sea ranging from 2 to 3 weeks.
- There are ocean focused summer camps and other opportunities listed on this site.
Useful websites to explore:
- This website will introduce you to a wide range of marine career fields and folks working in the field. Take the quiz to see which career is right for you!
- A great website for students to learn more about commonly known marine mammals! Briefly classifies and describes different marine mammals.
- This is a great website to learn all about aquaculture
- A great video repository about shellfish farming that highlights what a day in the job looks like
- Entry Level Oyster Farm Worker and Science, Safety, and Best Practices for Oyster Farming Workers
- Step by step instruction on how to build and create everything from simple crafts all the way to complete robots.
- The Arduino world is a great place to start for folks that are interested in learning how to code with a little device. This helps to make code physical as opposed to just something that lives on your computer. Learn to blink an LED, spin a motor and interface with sensors!
Undergraduate Opportunities in Ocean Science at WHOI and beyond
- Residential summer research experience for rising seniors, 10-12 weeks. Stipend, housing and travel allowance provided.
- Full-time summer research experience for MA community college students. Stipend provided and travel allowance provided.
- Includes short course and research internship placement for spring semester (part-time). Stipend and travel allowance provided.
- Includes short course and research internship placement for spring semester (part-time), co-advised by WHOI and UMassD advisors. Stipend and travel allowance provided; WHOI housing provided for 3 weeks on-site.
- A program of the Woods Hole Diversity Initiative. Residential 10-week summer research experience for undergraduates, including a 4-week course for credit. Stipend, housing and travel allowance provided.
- Full time 10-week summer research or management experience including 2 weeks of a course for credit. Stipend, tuition, and course supplies provided. (Locations across the country)
- List of sites across the U.S.